Many small businesses require licenses to operate or regular inspections, including restaurants, hair salons, and automotive repair shops. Below are lists of common business types that require permits and inspections by the City of Port Colborne, Niagara Region Public Health, and Niagara Regional Police Service. If your small business will be operating in any of these fields, or conducting activities very similar, use the contact information below to ensure that your business has the required licenses and permits prior to opening.

City of Port Colborne 

The City of Port Colborne's Clerks Division issues licences for different business types, including the following: 

  • Garage businesses to repair vehicles
  • Used car lot
  • Gasoline sales
  • Lodging houses
  • Hawker and peddler licence (including food trucks)
  • Refreshment vehicles
  • Trailer camp licenses
  • Kennel licenses to those properties who house more than 3 dogs

For more information on how to apply and applications, please visit our Business Licence page or contact the City of Port Colborne's Licensing Clerk.

 Niagara Region Public Health 

 The Niagara Region Public Health department inspects different business types and home occupations, including the following:
  • All food premises (including restaurants, caterers, banquet halls, mobile premises)
  • Special events where food is served
  • Farmers markets
  • Personal services settings (including hair salons, barber shops, nail and pedicure salons, tattoo parlours)
  • Second level lodging homes
  • Group homes
  • Licensed day nurseries including before and after school programs. (Day nurseries are licensed by the Ministry of Education)
  • Retirement homes (licensed by the Retirement Homes Regulatory Agency)   

If you are unsure if your business will require an inspection, please contact Niagara Region Public Health.

 Niagara Regional Police Services 

NOTE: Niagara Regional Police Service Licencing and Bylaw Enforcement Unit is no longer operational. 

All business licencing, inspection and enforcement services have been transferred to the Niagara Region.


The Niagara Region issues licenses for different business types and occupations, including the following: 

  • Taxicabs
  • Tow trucks
  • Limousines
  • Sightseeing and shuttle vehicles (including horse drawn carriages)
  • Salvage yards
  • Scrap dealers
  • Auto wrecking yards
  • Second hand stores
  • Second hand goods dealers
  • Adult exotic entertainment parlours and dancers

If you are unsure your business will require a license, please contact the Niagara Region.

Licences & Certificates

 Birth & Death Certificates
 All births and deaths in Ontario are registered with the Office of the Registrar General.

Online certificates and forms are available through Service Ontario.

Birth certificate

Apply online at Service Ontario for a Birth Certificate.

Death certificate

Apply online at Service Ontario for a Death Certificate.

Please visit the Office of the Registrar General website for more information and contact details.

 Dog Licences

DocuPet Inc. manages dog licensing in the City of Port Colborne. You can license your pet online, over the phone, by mail, or in person.


License My Dog Online     

Download PDF Application Form

For more information, visit DocuPet's website.


You are not allowed to have more than three (3) dogs, excluding unweaned puppies, on any property in the City of Port Colborne. If you own more than three dogs, you may qualify for a kennel licence.

 Kennel Licence
  If you operate a Kennel within the City of Port Colborne, you are required to have a kennel licence.
Lottery Licence

You can apply for a lottery licence in the City of Port Colborne if you represent a charitable or religious organization. The Government of Ontario and the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) regulate lottery licensing in Ontario.

For more information on applications for lottery licences and lottery reporting, please visit our Lottery Licence page.

Marriage Licence

 If you plan to get married in Ontario, you can get a marriage licence at Port Colborne City Hall. We issue Marriage Licences between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday to Friday.


The City of Port Colborne does not provide civil Marriage Ceremonies at City Hall. Please visit our Marriage Licence page for more information.