As the City looks forward to a safe and gradual recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic, some restrictions are being lifted allowing residents greater use, and access to, some outdoor spaces heading into the weekend.
By Friday, May 22, 2020, residents will be able to use parks and outdoor sports fields for more than walk-through uses, with some limitations. Residents must still abide by restrictions limiting groups to no more than five people and maintaining a two-metre (six feet) physical separation. Passive activities are now permitted in these areas including:
· Shoreline fishing, including at H.H. Knoll Lakeview Park (note that the fishing docks will remain closed).
· Bringing a chair or blanket to relax in parks.
· Kicking a ball, playing catch, flying a kite, and other such activities with members of their own households.
· Use of basketball and soccer nets with members of their own households at community parks (excluding the Vale Health & Wellness Centre / T.A. Lannan Sports Complex).
· Individual activities such as yoga or exercising provided not in a group or class.
In addition, amenities opened earlier this week also remain open:
· Elm Street leash free dog park;
· Tennis/Pickelball courts (143 Helen Street and Cedar Bay/Centennial Park); and
· Public boat launch ramp at H.H. Knoll Lakeview Park.
Anyone taking advantage of these spaces are to follow the best practices as outlined by Niagara Region Public Health to limit the spread of COVID-19 in our community. These include frequent washing/sanitization of hands, physical separation, avoiding touching of shared surfaces, and staying home if displaying symptoms or having been in contact with cases of the virus.
Organized sports are still restricted on municipal fields, given their necessity for gathering of groups. At this time, park and outdoor amenities such as playground equipment, benches, outdoor fitness equipment, municipal beaches, washroom facilities, and the Algoport Skateboard and BMX Park will remain closed to limit the spread of COVID-19 on shared surfaces.
By-law enforcement will continue to enforce gatherings larger than five people, dogs off-leash, and anyone using closed park amenities. To report to the By-law department, email firstname.lastname@example.org.