Fire Prevention Week 2016

 
 

Carbon Monoxide Awareness

Why Should I Care About Carbon Monoxide?

It Kills

Many Canadians die every year from carbon monoxide poisoning in their own homes, most of them while sleeping.

It Injures

Hundreds of Canadians are hospitalized every year from carbon monoxide poisoning, many of whom are permanently disabled.  Everyone is at Risk - 88% of all homes have something that poses a carbon monoxide threat.

Carbon Monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, toxic gas that enters the body through the lungs during the normal breathing process.  It replaces oxygen in the blood and prevents the flow of oxygen to the hear, brain and other vital organs. 

What are the Main Sources of Carbon Monoxide in my Home?

Wood burning/gas stoves, gas refrigerators, gasoline engines, kerosene heaters, gas furnaces and others. 

 
 

Fire Prevention & Public Education

The Fire Prevention Officer for the City of Port Colborne enforces the requirements of the Ontario Fire Code, Fire Prevention and Protection Act, advises the Chief Building Official on new construction, Municipal By-laws, Gasoline Handling Act, Propane Handling, Storage and Utilization Code as well as other Provincial, National and International Codes and Standards.  Routine fire safety inspections are conducted to ensure compliance with all applicable laws and standards.  Fire Safety Inspections can be requested by contacting Administration at 905-834-4512.  Click here to view the Ontario Fire Code.

Inspections may be subject to a fee in accordance with By-law No. 6291/117/15.  Click here to review By-law.

Schools, Service Clubs, Children's Groups can arrange for a tour of our Fire Station and a Public Education Presentation by contacting 905-834-4512 or by emailing Catherine Moyer, Executive Administrative Assistant to the Fire Chief.

Product Recall Information

Have you ever wondered about electrical products that have been deemed unsafe? Click here for up-to-date information regarding these recalls from the Electrical Safety Authority.  Also, the Office of the Fire Marshal's website can be viewed for product recalls by clicking here.

Public Fire Safety Education is an extremely important method used to improve awareness.  Fire Safety is not just seasonal; it is a year round commitment that is required by all the residents in Port Colborne.  When was the last time you checked your smoke alarm battery; or changed the smoke alarm itself?  Our Fire Service recommends changing your battery every time you change your clock, (every 6 months) and replacing your smoke alarm every 10 years.  

Student Accommodation

A parent's guide to finding fire-safe accommodation for students attending College or University - click here for details.

Safe student accommodation - 10 tips for a safe place to live - to find out what every student should know to prevent fire - click here

 

Junk Drawer

 

House Fires Caused by Storage of 9 Volt and AA Batteries

Port Colborne Fire & Emergency Services would like to warn its residents of the potential of a fire after it has been reported by the Fire Marshal’s Office that a fire at a home is being blamed on a battery, paper clips, post-it notes and other items stashed in a junk drawer.

Who would have thought, you were just trying to clean up your kitchen before your guests arrived.  The fire started after the prongs on the battery, a 9-volt, came in contact with a metal item and some paper.  The metal item conducted the battery current and the paper worked as fuel.

What should you do to prevent this from happening in your home?  Take a piece of electrical tape and put across the battery prongs  - all batteries, not just your 9 volts can be a conductor. 

A quick fix to protect your home from a very real fire risk.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

Make sure your family never has to come home to this

Structure Fire