Starting Oct. 19 – to coincide with Canada’s Waste Reduction Week - garbage will be collected every-other-week in an effort to reduce the amount of waste sent to landfill and increase the amount of recyclables and organics diverted from households and businesses.
Port Colborne specific changes:
The week of Oct.19, Port Colborne residents can put out the following: Blue Box, Grey Box, Green Bin and, leaf and yard waste. Garbage will not be collected.
The week of Oct. 26, Port Colborne residents can put out the following: garbage (2 bag limit), Blue Box, Grey Box, Green Bin and, leaf and yard waste.
This will continue moving forward, with garbage being collected every-other-week.
To find your collection day and pick-up details, please visit Niagara Region's website.
Recycling and organics will continue to be collected weekly. In addition to every-other-week garbage collection, residents will see a four-item limit on large household item collection and the discontinuation of curbside appliance/scrap metal collection. More information on the waste collection changes can be found online.
How residents can prepare for the changes:
- Download the Niagara Region Waste app for Apple or Android smartphones. In the mobile app, you will find the garbage/recycling collection schedule specific to your address, with the ability to sign up and receive a collection day reminder. As part of signing up for a reminder, you will also receive updates in case of collection changes or delays.
- Get a Green Bin if you do not already have one. Fifty per cent of what is typically disposed of in a garbage bag currently can go into the Green Bin, which will continue to be collected weekly. Placing your food waste in the Green Bin for weekly collection will avoid potential issues with odours and pests that may occur if this material sits in the garbage for two weeks.
- Eligible residents who dispose of diaper waste or waste generated due to a medical condition can register for weekly pickup if they cannot fit this waste into the two bag/can garbage collection limit every-other-week, and/or are unable to hold onto this waste for a two-week period.
- With the collection changes coming into effect the week of Oct. 19, residents will receive weekly collection of their recyclables – Blue Box, Grey Box Green Bin and leaf and yard waste, and garbage collection will start on its schedule of alternating weeks:
- The week of Oct. 19 residents in Fort Erie, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Pelham, St. Catharines, Thorold, Wainfleet and West Lincoln will receive garbage collection
- The week of Oct. 26 residents in Grimsby, Lincoln, Niagara Falls, Port Colborne and Welland will receive garbage collection. There will be no garbage collection the week of Oct. 19 for these residents.
More information about the collection changes can be found online or by phoning the Waste Info-Line Monday to Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. at 905-356-4141 or toll-free: 1-800-594-5542.