On Tuesday, June 9, 2020, Port Colborne Fire & Emergency services responded to a fire around 5:15 p.m. at 350 Wellington Street.
The fire spread to neighbouring townhome units and all tenants were able to escape safely.
Two firefighters were transported to the hospital with minor injuries related to heat exhaustion and the collapse of the ceiling. After testing and monitoring, the firefighters were released from the hospital last night and are home safe with their families.
“25 full time and volunteer firefighters were on scene and they did a great job extinguishing the fire, considering the hot weather conditions and intensity of the fire,” said Thomas B. Cartwright, Port Colborne Fire Chief. “The rapid response from all of our firefighters enabled us to get water on the fire quickly, controlling its spread.”
Chief Cartwright commented further that “yesterday’s fire is a reminder to all residents the importance of fire safety, particularly cooking safety, and that working smoke alarms do save lives. The working smoke alarm is what alerted the tenant of the fire.” All impacted units had working smoke alarms installed.
The cause of the fire at 350 Wellington Street was an unattended pot of oil on a stove burner. The estimated damage is $300,000.