Niagara’s local area municipalities, school boards and Niagara Region are once again forming a joint compliance audit committee for election campaign finances. Experienced professionals are being recruited to form a roster of eligible members for appointment to the 2018-2022 Niagara Compliance Audit Committee (NCAC).
The NCAC is responsible for considering requests for a compliance audit of a candidate or registered third party advertiser campaign finances. In addition, the committee reviews any clerk’s report where it appears a candidate or registered third party advertiser may have exceeded the contribution limits.
Other responsibilities of the NCAC include:
- Considering whether to grant or reject a compliance audit application made by an eligible elector
- Appointing an auditor
- Reviewing any reports submitted by the auditor
- Determining if legal proceedings shall be commenced
Members of the NCAC will receive a retention honourarium of $300 (includes training and mileage) and $200 per meeting (plus mileage). Applicants with a background in accounting, auditing, law, academics, election administration and/or public administration are preferred.
Certain individuals are ineligible to be appointed to the NCAC, including:
- Any candidate or registered third party advertiser in the 2018 Municipal Election
- Any individual who has provided, or is committed to providing, professional advice to a candidate or registered third party advertiser
- Current Council and/or Board members
- Municipal, Regional or school board employees
- Volunteers/employees assisting any candidate or registered third party advertiser
Applications and further details are available at your Regional or municipal Clerk’s Office, or by visiting
www.niagaracomplianceaudit.ca or www.niagaravotes.ca. The deadline for applications is July 13, 2018.
About Niagara Votes 2018
Election staff from the Region and all 12 Local Area Municipalities have partnered to streamline communications. This partnership is the first of its kind, designed to ensure candidates and electors across Niagara are aware of key dates and information for the 2018 Municipal and School Board Election.