Niagara This Week Staff
Monday, March 12 to Friday, March 16, 2012
There will be no time for kids in Port Colborne to relax during March break.
That’s because the Port Colborne Public Library has a slate full of activities planned for students of all ages. Registration is now open for interested kids, who can sign up by visiting the library or calling 905-834-6512.
The following activities are open to children.
- Leather crafts with First Dog Off the Porch. Create personalized leather pencil cases. Runs from 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. and is for children 8 and older. Cost is $5.
- Extraordinary experiments. Perform fun and educational science experiments from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Cost is $1 and children from 4 to 10 are welcome.
- Paws for Stories. Read to a St. John Ambulance therapy dog, open to readers of all ages. Read your favourite story to a therapy dog. Runs from 10a.m. to 11 a.m. on Monday and also 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday. Free of charge.
- Children’s and teen yoga with Nadia. Costs $4 per class. For children from 4 to 8, runs from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.; for children 8 to 12, runs from 11 a.m. to noon; and for teens 13 to 17, runs from 2:15 p.m. to 3:15 p.m.
- Family yoga with Nadia. Children from 4 to 10 years old can come out with mom, dad, the grandparents or a caregiver to practice yoga. Runs from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. and is $10 per family.
- Catch a Tune. Paul Behnke will be performing in concert at the L.R. Wilson Heritage Archives Building next to the library. Cost is $4 and is open for children of all ages. Children under three must be accompanied by an adult. Tickets must be purchased in advance at the library.
- Join the Troops. From 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. People can drop by the L.R. Wilson Heritage Archives Building to see what life was like for a soldier in the War of 1812. Watch reenactments and demonstrations, play games and do crafts. Cost is $3 and it’s open for children aged 6 to 12.
- Painting at the library. Paint a springtime Easter plaque. Open for children aged 6 to 12, runs from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Story time with Derek Miller. For children 6 years old and younger. Children under three must be accompanied by a caregiver. Runs from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. and is free.
- Crafts with Stacey. Make a pot ‘o gold game for St. Patrick’s Day. For children aged 5 to 12, runs from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. Cost is $4.
- Tot time. For children 2 to 4 years old and their caregivers, listen to St. Patrick’s Day stories, play crafts and games. Cost is $1, and runs from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Library BINGO. For all ages, goes from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Free.