Industrial Community Improvement Plan
Community improvement planning activities are shaped by local needs, priorities and circumstances. The purpose of a Community Improvement Plan is to:
- Focus public attention on local priorities and municipal initiatives;
- Target areas in transition or in need of repair, rehabilitation and redevelopment;
- Facilitate and encourage community change in a co-ordinated manner; and
- Stimulate private sector investment through municipal incentive based programs.
A community improvement approach is a flexible, comprehensive, coordinated and strategic framework for dealing with lands and buildings which can address many physical, social and economic matters. The Community Improvement Plan enables the City to coordinate public works and capital expenditures with private land and building improvements in a comprehensive and complimentary manner. The Plan also allows the City to provide financial incentives to private land owners for improvements to lands, buildings, signs, landscaping and other works.
The CIP establishes limits for funding works on private properties and criteria for determining eligible properties and projects. While the goal of the Industrial CIP is to encourage new and expanding industrial uses, Council may wish to include properties which are designated for commercial uses as eligible for the incentive programs offered under the Industrial CIP provided the use falls under one of the "Target Sectors" as identified in the Industrial CIP and they are within the CIP project area.
The Industrial CIP provides opportunities for new and expanding businesses located on industrially designated lands within the Urban Area to acquire financial assistance from the City for improvements to private property. It is important to note that the Industrial CIP does not include lands that are designated as "Gateway" or "Rural Employment" through Regional Policy Plan Amendment 1-2012 and will be further designated in the City of Port Colborne Official Plan. A separate Gateway CIP will be adopted at a later date which will be specific to these lands.
The main goal of the CIP is to promote investment that results in the productive use of lands and/or buildings for the purposes of establishing or maintaining a business enterprise, or the expansion of existing businesses to realize more effective use of the lands potential.
Other goals for the CIP include:
- Encourage capital investments that create new and/or maintain existing permanent jobs, as well as short-term construction jobs that contribute to the reduction of the unemployment rate;
- Support investments in specified high potential economic sectors that contribute to the diversification of the local economy;
- Support investment and development that results in an increase in property assessment and grows the non-residential municipal tax base;
- Provide financial incentive programs that are attractive to potential investors and corporate decision-makers, but are balanced with the financial limitations and expectations of City taxpayers;
- Attract investment based on the community's strengths and competitive advantages;
- Facilitate the development of the City's vacant unemployment lands and other areas that have the potential to be new employment areas;
- Encourage the redevelopment of the City's historic industrial sites resulting in the continued or renewed productivity of these sites; and
- Support the establishment and on-going development of sector clusters and encourage businesses to take advantage of cluster-related synergies.
This CIP contains specific policies, incentives, directions and municipal strategies that are intended to contribute towards the achievement of these goals.
The Industrial CIP can be found at the following link:
The Business Development Grant Program
A Grant Program which is intended to provide financial incentives to stimulate new investment in targeted economic sectors for the purposes of expanding and diversifying Port Colborne's economy. The Business Development Grant Program will also apply to projects that demonstrate a major investment resulting in a significant positive impact on the local economy and workforce.
The Business Development Grant Program is aimed at attracting new businesses to the City through the development or redevelopment of buildings and properties within the Project Area.
The Business Retention and Expansion Grant Program
A Grant Program which is intended to provide financial incentives to encourage existing businesses to make new capital investment in targeted economic sectors for the purposes of expanding and diversifying the local economy. The Business Retention and Expansion Grant Program will also apply to projects that demonstrate a significant investment resulting in the retention and/or expansion of high value industries and jobs.
The Small Business Investment Grant Program
A Grant Program which is intended to provide financial incentives to stimulate new investment in small businesses in the targeted economic sectors for the purposes of expanding and diversifying the local economy.
Development Charges Rebate Program
A Grant Program which is intended to provide financial incentives to stimulate investment in targeted economic sectors for the purposes of expanding and diversifying the local economy.
The Development Charges Rebate Program is aimed at attracting new business to the City and the expansion of existing businesses through the development, redevelopment, rehabilitation or adaptive reuse of buildings and properties in the Community Improvement Project area.
Application forms are coming soon!
For more information regarding the City of Port Colborne Industrial Community Improvement Plan please contact:
Ph. 905-835-2901 ext 129
Fax: (905) 835-2939
Email Lindsay Richardson