Drinking Water Quality Management System
What is a "Quality Management System"?
A Quality Management System (QMS) consists of a set of policies, procedures and objectives that direct and control an organization with respect to quality.
Quality management systems are not new. They have been around since the early 1950's, and in 1987, the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) released the first version of the ISO 9001 Quality Management System Standard. Since then, organizations throughout the world have been implementing the requirements of management system standards.
What does the QMS mean to me?
You will see no tangible differences in the delivery of water to you. The water coming out of your tap will remain safe, reliable and of exceptional quality. What will change is "behind-the-scenes" where documented procedures will standardize the daily routines and provide a framework for identifying and addressing potential water quality risks.
What are the benefits of a QMS?
There are a number of benefits associated with implementing a QMS that conforms to the DWQMS. They include:
- Greater efficiency and effectiveness (minimize duplication)
- Communication of consistent policies and procedures (everyone doing the same task the same way)
- Identification, prioritization and mitigation of water quality risks (identifying what could go wrong and planning how we will ensure the drinking water supply remains safe)
- Clearly defining and documenting roles and responsibilities as they pertain to the supply of safe drinking water (the left hand knows what the right hand is doing)
- Increased communication between the Owner and the Operating Authority (the Mayor and Council will be kept in the loop regarding the status of our drinking water system)
Can I see Port Colborne's Operational Plan?
Definitely! You can access an electronic copy of the Operational Plan. View the Operational Plan.
Hard copies available at the Port Colborne Public Library, 310 King Street and at City Hall, 2nd Floor Engineering and Operations Department.
What is Port Colborne's Quality Policy?
The City of Port Colborne has adopted the following Quality Policy that summarized the City's commitment to providing CLEAN drinking water:
Drinking Water Quality Management System - Information for Residents and Water Users
Drinking Water Quality Management System - Information and Acknowledgement for Suppliers and Contractors
Ontario's Drinking Water Quality Management Standard - Pocket Guide
A Municipal Drinking Water Licensing Program Overview
Ministry of the Environment Drinking Water Portal
Contact the City of Port Colborne:
Environmental Compliance Supervisor
66 Charlotte Street,
Port Colborne, Ontario