Residents are reminded to stay safe and healthy while being active outdoors by following the restrictions in place, which includes limiting groups to no more than five people and maintaining a two-metre (six feet) physical separation. Anyone taking advantage of the City’s recreation and park amenities are to follow the best practices as outlined by Niagara Region Public Health to limit the spread of COVID-19 in our community: frequent washing/sanitization of hands, physical separation, avoiding touching of shared surfaces, and staying home if displaying symptoms or having been in contact with cases of the virus.
#PORTicipate & #StayActive
By-law enforcement will continue to enforce gatherings larger than five people, off-leash dogs, and anyone using closed park amenities. To report to the By-law department, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
City COVID-19 UPDATES
For City COVID-19 updates, visit www.portcolborne.ca/page/covid-19
Recreation & Park Amenities OPEN
· The Alogport Skateboard & BMX Park at Lock 8 Gateway Park;
· Shoreline fishing, including at H.H. Knoll Lakeview Park (note that the fishing docks will remain closed);
· All City trails;
· Kicking a ball, playing catch, flying a kite, bringing a chair or blanket to relax, and other such activities with members of their own households at City parks;
· Use of basketball and soccer nets with members of their own households at City parks (excluding the Vale Health & Wellness Centre / T.A. Lannan Sports Complex);
· Individual activities such as yoga or exercising provided not in a group or class.
· Tennis/Pickelball courts (143 Helen Street and Cedar Bay/Centennial Park); and
· Public boat launch ramp at H.H. Knoll Lakeview Park.
· Farmers' Market - as of Friday, June 26, 2020.
· Discovery Spray Pad at H.H. Knoll Lakeview Park - as of Friday, June 26, 2020.
· The following public washrooms (as of Friday, June 19): Harbourmaster building on West Street, H.H. Knoll Lakeview Parks, Lock 8 Gateway Park, and Centennial Park/Cedar Bay Beach.
· All City playgrounds.
· Vale Health & Wellness Centre - Rink 1 at the Vale Health & Wellness Centre welcomed back skaters Tuesday, Aug. 4, 2020, and Rink 2 welcomed skaters back Thursday, Oct. 1, 2020 to permit holders only offering training opportunities for hockey players and figure skaters. All users are to follow the outlined public/user rules and regulations, including wearing a mask/face covering as per the Niagara Region Face Covering By-law.
The walking track opens Oct.1, 2020 and will be available Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. and 1 - 4 p.m. The walking track will be closed from 12 – 1 p.m. for a daily cleaning. Walkers will be required to wear a face covering and will need to sign-in at the upper level upon arrival. The walking track will be monitored by staff to ensure maximum allowed occupancy.
Indoor Zumba classes will run in the Golden Puck Community Room from 7 – 8 p.m. on Monday, and Wednesday evenings from Oct. 19 to Dec. 14, 2020. There will be a limit of 20 participants per class and interested individuals must pre-register. For more information, contact Blair Holinaty by phone 905-835-2900 ext. 538, or by email at email@example.com.
Effective Sept. 30, 2020, the Port Colborne YMCA will move into Phase 1 of their Reactivation Schedule. They will be open Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. and Saturday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. There will be a daily senior hour for individuals 55 years and older, from 1 – 2 p.m. The YMCA will be closed daily from 12 – 1 p.m. and 4 – 5 p.m. for a thorough cleaning. For more information, please visit their website.
· TA Lannan Sports Complex - has reopened to host the Sir John Colborne Youth Soccer Club (SJCYSC) to provide training opportunities for their athletes. In addition, a local co-ed slo-pitch league will also begin operating a shortened season starting Friday, Aug. 7.
· Recreation Programs - Outdoor Zumba classes at the Sugarloaf Marina pavilion will be returning on Monday, Aug. 10. Classes will run every Monday and Wednesday evenings from 7 – 8 p.m. Fees are $5 per class and can be paid to the instructor upon arrival. Sugarloaf Marina offices and washrooms, including the water bottle refill station, will not be available for access during the outdoor class times.
· Park Pavilions - The City is resuming issuing permits for pavilions at City parks.
Recreation & Park Amenities CLOSED
· City recreation facilities, including the Vale Health & Wellness Cenre (YMCA), with the exemption of permit holders offering
training opportunities for hockey players and figure skaters; T.A. Lannan Sports Complex, with the exemption of Sir John Colborne Youth Soccer Club (SJCYSC) to provide training opportunities for their athletes, and a local co-ed slo-pitch league will also begin operating a shortened season starting Friday, Aug. 7.
For more information about rink or sports field permits, call 905-835-2900 ext. 535 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about recreation programs, including outdoor Zumba classes, or park and pavilion permits, call 905-835-2900 ext.538 or email email@example.com
For more information about the City’s response to COVID-19, visit http://portcolborne.ca/page/covid-19.
events cancelled / postponed
- Port Colborne Downtown Cruisers Association Cruise Nights – cancelled July 9, 16, 23, Aug. 6, 13, 20, 27, Sept. 3, 10, and 17, 2020;
- Nickel Beach Bonfire – cancelled - July 17, and Sept. 18, 2020;
- Port Colborne Concert Band – July 9, 16, and 23, 2020;
- Moonlight Flicks at H.H. Knoll Lakeview Park – July 8, 15, and 22, 2020;
- Showboat Festival Theatre 2020 Season - cancelled. Click here for details.
- Volunteer Appreciation Banquet – Sept. 22, 2020;
- Terry Fox Run – Sept. 20, 2020 (being held virtually); and
- HarvestFest – Sept. 26, 2020.
Port Colborne Slow Ride Social Distance Rides
This spring and summer the City planned to support Port Colborne Slow Ride, an initiative to help keep residents active and PORTicipating on Tuesday evenings with group bicycle rides. Due to social/physical distancing measures, social gatherings and large group rides are not permitted at this time. However, we are still encourage everyone to take part in social distance bike rides and hoping you show us what you see along the route. Take a break from your ride to stop and snap photos of things you see along the routes and post to your social media accounts using #SlowRidePortColborne and #PORTicipate, or email your pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will post on our social media channels. A weekly update with some of the photos that were captured each week will be shared. Please keep your distance from other riders and only ride in a group with people in your household.
Adopt a ___ Program
The City is working towards launching an adopt a trail/park/dock program this summer. Staff are seeking volunteers to help with clean up in our parks, trails, marina, and other green spaces. For those who are interested, all necessary supplies and training will be provided. The City is currently encouraging residents to stay home as much as possible and when going out to public areas and to maintain physical separation. Once the City is able to launch this program safely, we will! Interested? Email email@example.com or call 905-835-2900 ext. 566.
Public Notices & Media Releases
Public Notice - A Message from Sugarloaf Marina (March 25, 2020)
Public Notice - Playground and Playing Field Closures (March 27, 2020)
Public Notice - A Message from Sugarloaf Marina (March 31, 2020)
Public Notice - A Message from Parks & Recreation Division (April 16, 2020)
Public Notice - A Message from Sugarloaf Marina (April 20, 2020)
Public Notice - A Message from Sugarloaf Marina (May 4, 2020)
Media Release - Port Colborne events cancelled until July 2, 2020
Media Release - Port Colborne easing more restrictions on outdoor spaces and amenities (May 21, 2020)
Media Release - Port Colborne easing more restrictions on outdoor spaces and City facilities (May 28, 2020)
Media Release - June is recreation and parks month (June 1, 2020)
Media Release - Public washrooms, Farmers’ Market, and Centennial-Cedar Bay Beach set to open in Port Colborne (June 16, 2020)
Media Release - Nickel Beach ready to open just in time for summer (June 18, 2020)
Media Release - Port Colborne’s Discovery Spray Pad reopening June 26 (June 25, 2020)
Media Release - Port Colborne events cancelled until Aug. 2 (July 6, 2020)
Media Release - Changes to Nickel Beach operations (July 8, 2020)
Media Release - Port Colborne bringing back the 'play' in playgrounds (July 24, 2020)
Media Release - Port Colborne events cancelled until Oct. 2 (July 29, 2020)
Media Release - Reopening recreation in Port Colborne continues (Aug. 4, 2020)
Media Release - Port Colborne's beaches restricted to Port Colborne residents (Aug. 26, 2020)