Residents are reminded to stay safe and healthy while being active outdoors by following the restrictions in place, which includes limiting groups to no more than five people and maintaining a two-metre (six feet) physical separation. Anyone taking advantage of the City’s recreation and park amenities are to follow the best practices as outlined by Niagara Region Public Health to limit the spread of COVID-19 in our community: frequent washing/sanitization of hands, physical separation, avoiding touching of shared surfaces, and staying home if displaying symptoms or having been in contact with cases of the virus.
#PORTicipate & #StayActive
By-law enforcement will continue to enforce gatherings larger than five people, off-leash dogs, and anyone using closed park amenities. To report to the By-law department, email email@example.com.
City COVID-19 UPDATES
For City COVID-19 updates, visit www.portcolborne.ca/page/covid-19
Recreation & Park Amenities OPEN
· The Alogport Skateboard & BMX Park at Lock 8 Gateway Park;
· Shoreline fishing, including at H.H. Knoll Lakeview Park (note that the fishing docks will remain closed);
· All City trails;
· Kicking a ball, playing catch, flying a kite, bringing a chair or blanket to relax, and other such activities with members of their own households at City parks;
· Use of basketball and soccer nets with members of their own households at City parks (excluding the Vale Health & Wellness Centre / T.A. Lannan Sports Complex);
· Individual activities such as yoga or exercising provided not in a group or class.
· Tennis/Pickelball courts (143 Helen Street and Cedar Bay/Centennial Park); and
· Public boat launch ramp at H.H. Knoll Lakeview Park.
· Farmers' Market - as of Friday, June 26, 2020.
· Centennial - Cedar Bay Beach - as of Friday, June 19, 2020.
· Nickel Beach - as of Friday, June 26, 2020.
· Discovery Spray Pad at H.H. Knoll Lakeview Park - as of Friday, June 26, 2020.
· The following public washrooms (as of Friday, June 19): Harbourmaster building on West Street, H.H. Knoll Lakeview Parks, Lock 8 Gateway Park, and Centennial Park/Cedar Bay Beach.
Recreation & Park Amenities CLOSED
· Organized sports are still restricted on municipal fields, given their necessity for gathering of groups;
· Park and outdoor amenities such as playground equipment, and outdoor fitness equipment at the T.A. Lannan Sports Complex;
· Public washroom facilities (with the exception of Harbourmaster building, H.H. Knoll Lakeview Park, Lock 8 Gateway Park, and Centennial-Cedar Bay Park).
· City recreation facilities, including the Vale Health & Wellness Cenre (YMCA), T.A. Lannan Sports Complex.
events cancelled / postponed
- Port Colborne Downtown Cruisers Association Cruise Nights – cancelled July 9, 16, and 23, 2020.
- Nickel Beach Bonfire – cancelled - July 17, 2020.
- Port Colborne Concert Band – July 9, 16, and 23, 2020.
- Moonlight Flicks at H.H. Knoll Lakeview Park – July 8, 15, and 22, 2020.
- Showboat Festival Theatre 2020 Season - cancelled. Click here for details.
Port Colborne Slow Ride Social Distance Rides
This spring and summer the City planned to support Port Colborne Slow Ride, an initiative to help keep residents active and PORTicipating on Tuesday evenings with group bicycle rides. Due to social/physical distancing measures, social gatherings and large group rides are not permitted at this time. However, we are still encourage everyone to take part in social distance bike rides and hoping you show us what you see along the route. Take a break from your ride to stop and snap photos of things you see along the routes and post to your social media accounts using #SlowRidePortColborne and #PORTicipate, or email your pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will post on our social media channels. A weekly update with some of the photos that were captured each week will be shared. Please keep your distance from other riders and only ride in a group with people in your household.
Adopt a ___ Program
The City is working towards launching an adopt a trail/park/dock program this summer. Staff are seeking volunteers to help with clean up in our parks, trails, marina, and other green spaces. For those who are interested, all necessary supplies and training will be provided. The City is currently encouraging residents to stay home as much as possible and when going out to public areas and to maintain physical separation. Once the City is able to launch this program safely, we will! Interested? Email email@example.com or call 905-835-2900 ext. 566.
Public Notices & Media Releases
Public Notice - A Message from Sugarloaf Marina (March 25, 2020)
Public Notice - Playground and Playing Field Closures (March 27, 2020)
Public Notice - A Message from Sugarloaf Marina (March 31, 2020)
Public Notice - A Message from Parks & Recreation Division (April 16, 2020)
Public Notice - A Message from Sugarloaf Marina (April 20, 2020)
Public Notice - A Message from Sugarloaf Marina (May 4, 2020)
Media Release - Port Colborne events cancelled until July 2, 2020
Media Release - Port Colborne easing more restrictions on outdoor spaces and amenities (May 21, 2020)
Media Release - Port Colborne easing more restrictions on outdoor spaces and City facilities (May 28, 2020)
Media Release - June is recreation and parks month (June 1, 2020)
Media Release - Public washrooms, Farmers’ Market, and Centennial-Cedar Bay Beach set to open in Port Colborne (June 16, 2020)
Media Release - Nickel Beach ready to open just in time for summer (June 18, 2020)
Media Release - Port Colborne’s Discovery Spray Pad reopening June 26 (June 25, 2020)
Media Release - Port Colborne events cancelled until Aug. 2 (July 6, 2020)
Media Release - Changes to Nickel Beach operations (July 8, 2020)