Farmers Market Friday | 6:00amMORE
Regular Committee of the Whole/Council Meeting Tuesday | 6:30pmMORE
Active Transportation Advisory Committee Meeting Monday | 6:30pmMORE
Heritage Port Colborne
What is Heritage Port Colborne?
Heritage Port Colborne is a committee of City Council that is responsible for advising the public and Council on matters dealing with the protection of historically and architecturally significant buildings and properties in the City of Port Colborne. Committee members consist of local residents who are primarily concerned with the protection of and education about the City's architectural heritage, thereby allowing the public at large to appreciate and learn about it.
What does Heritage Port Colborne Do?
The functions of Heritage Port Colborne include but are not limited to:
- Researching the history and architecture of a particular building or property to determine whether it is worthy of designation by being historically, culturally or architecturally significant;
- Advising council on the circumstances of a particular building(s), property(s) or area(s);
- Acting as a liaison between Council and the owner of a building or property (this may include consulting on matters regarding the designation process);
- Advising Council on all other heritage matters within the municipality; and
- Acting as a liaison between the citizens of Port Colborne and citizens that wish to suggest new heritage sites within the municipality.
Heritage Port Colborne Mandate:
- To establish criteria for the evaluation of properties of architectural and/or historical value or interest;
- To prepare and maintain a list of properties and areas worthy of conservation;
- To advise Council on means of conserving heritage properties and areas;
- To advise Council on current heritage conservation legislation to conserve heritage properties and areas;
- To implement programs and activities to increase public awareness and knowledge of heritage conservation issues
- To advise and assist Council on all matters relating to Parts IV and V of the Ontario Heritage Act, R.S.O. 1990, as amended;
- To advise and assist Council on any other matters relating to buildings and areas of architectural and/or historical significance;
- To administer properties acquired by the municipality under Section 36 of the Ontario Heritage Act, R.S.O. 1990, as amended;
- To prepare before the 1st day of February each year, a report of the previous years activities and a projected budget for the succeeding year; and
- To meet as often as it deems necessary, but at least once each four (4) months.
- Donna Abbott
- Ralph Caperchione
- Brenda Haymes
- Peter Stuart
- Deborah Wright
- Councillor Barb Butters (email@example.com)
- Councillor Bea Kenny (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Councillor John Mayne (email@example.com)
For more information regarding Heritage Port Colborne or designating your property or building under the Heritage Act, please contact:
Shannon Larocque (Staff Liaison)
Ph. 905-835-2900 ext 202
Email the Planner