- Animal Services
- Bridge Status
- City Services
- Community Services
- Age Friendly
- Algoport Skate / BMX Park
- Arts & Culture Master Plan
- Groups & Organizations
- Healthy Kids Community Challenge
- Leisure Guide & OnlinePORT
- Parks & Pavillions
- Playing Fields
- Roselawn Centre
- Sugarloaf Marina
- Vale Health & Wellness
- Farmers' Market
- Medical Facilities
- Canal Days T-Shirt
- Exhibits and Events
- Facilities & Rates
- Gift Shop
- Group and School Tours
- Half a Century' Online Exhibit
- Heritage Village
- Museum History
- Museum's Laker Trip Auction
- Tea Room
- Volunteer Information
- Contact Us
- Photo Gallery
- Port Colborne Transit
- Recycling & Organics Containers
- Smoke Free Niagara
PORT COLBORNE IS TAKING STEPS TOWARDS BEING AN AGE-FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Port Colborne is aligning with Niagara Region’s Age-Friendly Initiative by taking preliminary steps to becoming an age-friendly community. In 2015, Statistics Canada reported that for the first time there are more Canadians aged 65 and over than there are 15 and under. The population’s growth rate for those older than 64 is now growing four times faster than the population at large. Port Colborne recognizes that a significant proportion of the community is comprised of older adults. Age-friendly communities have become a global trend over the past 10 years. In Ontario there are 60 cities progressively seeking ‘Age-Friendly’ status. Community Services in conjunction with the Seniors Citizens’ Advisory Committee has secured an Age-Friendly Community Planning Grant from the Government of Ontario to undertake an Age-Friendly Needs Assessment.
SO, WHAT IS AN AGE-FRIENDLY COMMUNITY?
In an age-friendly community, the policies, services and structures related to physical and social environments are designed so that all community members, especially older citizens, can age actively and independently, while remaining connected and contributing to community life.
THE NEEDS ASSESSMENT IS ALL ABOUT YOU
The Age-Friendly Needs Assessment is about gaining input and ideas from YOU. The needs assessment will be conducted utilizing a variety of tools consisting of surveys, focus groups and community engagement meetings. A summative report will be completed by the end of June, 2016.
Participate in two ways:
1. Complete the Age-Friendly Survey, and/or
2. Sign up to join a focus group running in March, April, and May.
YOUR feedback will be the key to making this project a success!
1. COMPLETE THE AGE-FRIENDLY SURVEY BELOW BETWEEN FEBRUARY 11 and APRIL 8.
b) Pick Up & Drop Off:
1. City Hall, 66 Charlotte Street
2. Roselawn Centre, 296 Fielden Avenue
3. Vale Health & Wellness Centre, 550 Elizabeth Street
4. Port Colborne Library, 310 King Street
c) Alternative Formats Available: Call: 905-835-2901 ext. 539 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. JOIN A FOCUS GROUP - Focus Groups will be advertised at the end of February, 2016. We welcome participation from community members over 55 years of age; caregivers of senior citizens; and community business and service providers.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE AGE-FRIENDLY NEEDS ASSSESSMENT
Call: 905-835-2901 ext. 539
VISIT THESE WEBSITES FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT AGE-FRIENDLY INITIATIVES